Monday, April 12, 2010

Local Treasure Hunt!


I found this "Thiebold-esque" original acrylic at the Alemany Flea Market, San Francisco, California. The artist is Scott Smith.
I happen to enjoy the thrill of the hunt – treasure hunt that is. I suppose this weakness goes all the way back to the Easter Bunny and the wonderful memories I have of our hunt for colored eggs in the garden. I’ve never gotten over that.
This “Stueben-esque” vessel was found at Judith Frost Consignment, Palo Alto, CA. It is a signed piece.

Fast forward to the present (actually, the last 25 years of my life) and I find that I still love the thrill of the unexpected. I usually set out late morning, plan my route and set off. The Peninsula, south of San Francisco seems to be my most successful hunting ground. I am frequently joined by friends, and make it a day, complete with lunch at some great little spot like Café Primavera at Allied Arts in Menlo Park or the little French Bakery Douce France at Town & Country Village in Palo Alto.

This fabulous bronze was acquired at St. Matthew's Thrift Shop in San Mateo, California.

A few of my favorite (and successful) haunts are Judith Frost Consignment in Palo Alto, the Alemany Flea Market in San Francisco and the Thrift Shop at St. Matthew’s Episcopal Church in San Mateo. These are just a few of my recent finds. Judge for yourself. All were under $25.

Barbara Ashfield

No comments: